Black Points, Driving in Abu Dhabi
following 'black points' information is not
created for legal purposes but is an interpretation of
how the system
works and may have
is YOUR responsibility
understand and adhere to the local legal requirements when driving in
the UAE. See here for more information on Abu
Dhabi or Dubai.
What are Black Points?
Simply, they are the demerit
points a driver gets against their
license/vehicle that can cummulatively lead to vehicle impoundment,
loss of license, or in the worst case, incarceration.
The Abu Dhabi and Dubai Police have a 'black points table' that lists
the offense, fine and points associated to the various driving
There are currently 147 listed violations, however the table is
routinely updated to reflect the increasing
effort of the UAE police to
clamp down on dangerous driving so it is best to check the most up to date version.
Traffic points accummulated in 12 months (that do not reach
the limit of 24) are taken away and deleted annually.
It is possible to have 8 points removed by completing a
Traffic Department endorsed driving course.
If you reach the points limit (24)
If the limit of 24 is reached within 12 months, the following
penalties are applied
- The driving license is confiscated for 3 months of the
first traffic violation.
- The driving license is confiscated for 6 months of the
second traffic violation.
- The driving license is confiscated for a year and is not
return until the driver passes a driving course at a driving school
signed by the authority of the third traffic violation.
If the driver is on a temporary driving license
- The driving license is confiscated for six months and is
not returned until the driver passes a rehabilitation course at a
- If the accumulated limit has been repeated during
probation, the driving license is cancelled a twelve month test ban is
put in place.
Useful violation terms to know
- Yellow Box
- The area marked yellow in crossing with light signals.
- Traffic Points
A number of points are fixed and the violated driver takes them against
traffic violations according to the schdule (black points table) from
the date of violation.
- When traffic points reach to twenty four (24) during a time period
not exceeding one year.
- When two persons or more are racing on roads without traffic
- It is the registration book where the traffic violations are written,
dates and the number of points against each violation.
- The accumulation limit exceeds more than once during the year.